Why Go Private For Pregnancy Scans Instead Of The NHS In The UK?
Having an unfamiliar (and sometimes not so friendly) person scan your belly can be a harrowing experience for many women. While some women have no other option than the free healthcare provided by the NHS, more and more expecting mums are willing to pay out of their pocket for private maternity scans at every stage of their pregnancy. Is it worth the money?
When you look closely at the benefits of going private, you can see why it is becoming so popular among mothers who can afford the option. (To be honest, when you check the prices, it is not as expensive as you might think.) Here is a rundown of the top reasons why you should consider private maternity scans.
Benefits of Private Maternity Scans
There is nothing wrong with the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK, but some women want a little more when it comes to something as important as the birth of their child. Here is a look at some of the major benefits you can achieve if you decide to go with a private clinic for your pregnancy scans.
- Options: Want an extra print of the ultrasound for the both sets of parent families? Not a problem. Don’t want to know the sex of your baby yet? They understand. Want privacy when baring your belly? Entirely possible.
- Technology: While a 2D ultrasound scan is made available to most women under NHS coverage, there are many modern technologies that can offer a splendid view of your child before they are born. For some women, this is worth a little extra money, especially for 3D or 4D ultrasound baby scans.
- Privacy: For some women, being able to routinely visit the same person to get the pregnancy scan can make the process a little less stressful. Having a room all for themselves also helps. Whatever the reason for wanting privacy, there are options available with private pregnancy scanning clinics.
- Value: While there is a price associated with private pregnancy scans, when you consider the extra service and attention to detail (or privacy) this can be considered as quite a value for your money.
Types of Private Maternity Scans
Now that you know a little more about why you may want a private pregnancy scan in the UK, here is a look at some of the types of ultrasound scans you have available to you.
- First Trimester Private Pregnancy Scans: 0 to 12 weeks
- Second Trimester Private Pregnancy Scans: 13 to 26 weeks
- Third Trimester Private Pregnancy Scans: 27 to 40 weeks
Finding the proper place for a private pregnancy scan is not difficult if you know where to start your search. We have put together a small list of reputable private clinics for pregnancy scans in the UK. From one-off sessions to a collection of various scans at different stages of the pregnancy, there are options available for women of all income levels at these clinics. Also, no GP referrals are necessary to book appointments.
The maternity scans are usually performed by qualified Sonographers. Howevere, in cases of complications or where a second opinion is required, some of these clinics also offer the facility to have your scans performed by Consultant Obstetricians for a little extra cost. This is worthwhile if you feel the need to discuss your situation with a doctor during or after a scan.
Whatever the amount of help that is wanted, private clinics typically offer many more choices than pregnancy scans available via the NHS. The fact that these choices exist for pregnancy scans indicates that healthcare in the UK has come a long way over the years.
Related Guide: Pregnancy Scans Guide